Monday, December 12, 2016

Like Father, Like Son

Like Father, Like Son

Image result for hamilton and philip gifs
In the song "Blow Us All Away", a clear picture of Phillip is painted. He said to be intelligent and very handsome just like his dad, Hamilton. He seems to see himself as more responsible/wise than others his age when he mentions, "I'm only nineteen but my mind is older." This builds expectations and an image that Phillip needs to live up to. An image that Phillip chases a bit too ambitiously if you ask me.

Legacies and expectations can way a lot on people, so much so that some go too far to uphold this. This can also been seen in the Disney classic, The Lion King. Simba is looked on to carry on his father's legacy to rule over the Pride Lands. And we can see how much he looks forward to this like Phillip in the song "I Can't Wait to be King". Simba sings "I'm gonna be the main event like no king was before" which is very similar to when Phillip sings "gotta be my own man like my father, but bolder".

i cant
The problem both have comes when they go out of their way to establish themselves as following their father's legacies but they're going to do it better. Phillip challenges George Eacker to a duel and Simba explores outside the Pride Land. Both doing so out of over-confidence and (SPOILER-ALERT) they both fail.

2 comments:

  1. I think your comparison to the Lion King was very creative and important. I know that that movie is something that I can easily identify with. I think you nailed the picture of Philip that is painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought of the comparison almost immediately and thought it would be helpful to further express some of the ideas about Phillip. Honestly, finding little comparisons like this is how my mind works and it helps me fully flesh out ideas. I'm glad it was something you could also identify with.

      Delete