Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Guns and Ships

"Guns and Ships"

I believe this song helps introduce the topic of discussion of how the French helped in the Revolutionary War. It can be easily said that without the French help we would have had no chance in the Revolutionary War. Out of their hatred of England, we profited, but that's not what we are here to discuss.
hamiltonWhat I find interesting is that when I looked up information about French and American contact, Hamilton never came up, but Benjamin Franklin did. The musical over-hypes Hamilton's relation with the French in general through his relation with Lafayette. Benjamin Franklin is getting completely forgotten in this regard.

In a way Franklin is getting the Hamilton treatment. His story is not being told of how he was the main contact to France. Without Franklin, who knows where we would be. One of our most early foreign diplomats gets forgotten to give Hamilton a time a in the spotlight. He's not a character in the musical despite his importance and the musical seems to credit Hamilton with some of Franklin's work. But I guess that's what you get when you die and someone else has to tell the story.

Source:
- https://history.state.gov/milestones/1776-1783/french-alliance

1 comment:

  1. I love this song, this is one of my favorite songs I love the tempo and rhythm of the whole song. I think your post is really interesting because I never really actually looked into the whole song and the actual meaning of the whole thing. I kind of did think that the whole French and Revolutionary thing but I never actually looked into it.

    ReplyDelete