Wednesday, October 12, 2016

"My Shot" and "Lose Yourself" Comparison

"My Shot" and "Lose Yourself"

Though these two songs may seem very different as they were written in different context, they both share a similar theme of knowing what you want and chasing it before it gets away from you.
Funnily, the first thing that made me draw the connection between these two things was that they both mention a "shot". Though in "My Shot" literal shots are mentioned throughout the "shot" they are both talking about not throwing away is the chance you have at achieving your goals; it is what drives you everyday and gets you out of bed in the morning. 

In the context of Hamilton, Hamilton speaks of not throwing away his shot at greatness in a political career and on the battlefield. All these opportunities come to him and he reminds himself not to throw it away and to make full use of it. Hamilton has the odds against him because of his lower social standing, but interestingly enough so does Eminem in his song "Lose Yourself"

In "Lose Yourself", Eminem talks of not blowing his opportunity in rap industry. He grew up in a trailer park and was not very well off, meaning he had everything to prove. Like Hamilton, he strove to improve his standing in the world and can't take his opportunities for granted because they may not show up again.

 

I believe we all need to learn something from this. To be honest this is something I struggle with from time to time. I struggle finding what I am truly passionate for, and I'm not quite sure if I had my "shot" if I would capitalize on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment